Friday, January 8, 2010

The Journey of Reading


Okay, so I finished one out of the four books that I purchased while in California. This first book that I read was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It wasn’t until the ending of the first chapter that I had realized that I had actually seen the movie; which sucked because I knew the plot already. Nevertheless, I continued reading to get annoyed by Nicholas Sparks’ constant use of the phrase “…if you know what I mean.” Before reading the book, I’d revcieved so many great reviews about his writing, but it was nothing special. If you ask me, he’s seem pretty generic. Don’t get me wrong, the book wasn’t boring at all, but I’ve had better encounters with great literature.

One thing that I did love about this book was a quote found within the last few pages. It wasn't anything that Sparks had written himself, but it definitely caught my attention. It made me think about the word love and what it actually meant. It simply stated :

Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and it is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope and endure whatever come.

*This quote is from one of the greatest books ever written. You guess which one.*

This week while browsing through the many channels that DIRECT TV has to offer (great promotion), I came across the title Love in the Time of Cholera. It had been a familiar title, but nothing I’d ever read or seen before. The movie was absolutely phenomenal, I’m a bit upset that I didn’t discover the book first. I totally recommend it for anyone that is looking for a great movie with a great plot! It doesn't get any better than that.

*Note to reader: Never watch the movie of a book, before actually reding the book. It takes away from the excitement of actually reading. If you read the book, then watch the film, its fun to compare the minor details that differ from the book to the movie.

Now Reading: The Pact by Jodi Picoult

No comments:

Post a Comment